FOREDOWN TOWER
ASTRONOMERS

FOREDOWN TOWER
ASTRONOMERS

FOREDOWN TOWER
ASTRONOMERS

Welcome

Foredown Tower Astronomers are a friendly, social group of amateur astronomers that meet once a month to listen to a guest speaker and then enjoy conversation over light refreshments. If the skies are clear members are asked to bring their telescopes for some observing which guests can also join.

Meetings are held at the Emmaus Community Café on the 3rd Thursday of each month. Free parking is available on site.

Guests are welcome to all evenings at a cost of £5 (includes refreshments) and should they then wish to join membership costs £20 per 6 months.

Next Meeting: Probing the dark universe with next-generation telescopes

Date: 15th February at 7:30pm

Speaker: Dr. David Bacon

Whilst we enjoy viewing the visible galaxy with our eyes and telescopes, it's often easy to forget that the matter we observe only accounts for around 5% of the mass-energy of the universe. The remaining 95% is split into dark matter(27%) and dark energy(68%). Whist we know it's there, we just can't "see" it.

Dr. David Bacon of the University of Portsmouth is a leading researcher in this field and will be talking about the next generation of telescopes that are already under construction to help us see the unseen.

 

If clear skies are forecast please bring your telescope and there will be some observing after the talk.

Future Meetings

Future meeting & events include;

March 15th 2018

Professor Carl Murray (Queen Mary, University of London) - The Cassini Legacy (TBC)

April 19th 2018

Dr Iocopo Vivarelli (University of Sussex) - Discoveries at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC)

May 17th 2018

Graham Bryant - Astrophotography

June 21st 2018

Professor Andrew Coates (Mullard Space Science Laboratory) - Looking for Life on Mars with the ExoMars 2020 Rover

©Foredown Tower Astronomers

Federation of Atronomical Societies
Southern Area Group of Astronomical Societies